Wood Islands Back Range Light


Status: Decomissioned
GPS Coordinates: relocated
FHBRO Number: 90-115
LOL number: 974
Date Built: 1902

Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Decommissioned in 2007.
Nominal Range: 6 nautical miles
Focal Height: was 11.4 meters was 37'4 " ft
Light: was fixed yellow light
Tower height: 9.7 meters   32" ft

Driving Directions:


Points East Coastal Drive - PEI MAP - F-13

Take the ferry from Caribou, Nova Scotia or Highway 1 from Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island to reach Wood Islands. Near the ferry landing, take Lighthouse Road east to Wood Islands Lighthouse site.

 


Description:

The Wood Islands Back Range Light has a square tapered wooden tower, 9.7m (32ft) from base to vane. It has a square lantern with a large window facing seaward and a smaller window on the east side. A narrrow wooden  deck is surmounted on the tower and is surrounded by a cross-braced railing supported by simple wooden brackets. The red striped vertical day mark on its seaward side was removed when this range light was decomissioned in 2007.

 

 


Historic Data:

In 1902, the Wood Islands Back Range Light was constructed  overlooking the Northumberland Strait that leads into Wood Islands Harbour. It was useful to the fishing fleet and Northumberland Ferries Limited after 1940.

It is believed that the range light was moved about 1940 when construction of the ferry terminal at Wood Islands began.

This Back Range Light was decommissioned in 2007.

In 2013 this range light was moved to the lighthouse site.


Keepers:

This is the only name available.

James Young  1902 - ?


Current Owners/ Operators:

The Wood Islands Area Development Corporation.


Special Events/Activities:

 

Last Updated: November 25, 2013