Wood Islands Front Range Light


Status: Decomissioned
GPS Coordinates: relocated
FHBRO Number: was 90-115
LOL number: was 973
Date Built: 1902

Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Decommissioned in 2007
Light: was fixed yellow light
Tower height: 5.8 meters   19" ft

Driving Directions:

Points East Coastal Drive - PEI MAP - F-13

Take the ferry from Caribou, Nova Scotia or Highway 1 from Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island to reach Wood Islands. Near the ferry landing, take Lighthouse Road east to the Wood Islands Lighthouse site. 

 


Description:

The Wood Islands Front Range Light has a shingled square wooden tower measuring 5.8m (19 feet) from base to vane.  It has a slope-walled attached shed and a gable roof over its door. At one point it housed the fog alarm. The red striped vertical day mark on its seaward side was removed when this range light was decomissioned in 2007.

 

 


Historic Data:

At one time the range light was not much more than an enclosed frame, surmounted by a square lantern. It later acquired a slope-walled attached shed and gable roof over its door.

In 1902, the Wood Islands Front Range Light was constructed overlooking the Northumberland Strait leading into Wood Islands Harbour.  It was modeled after the Bras d'Or, Nova Scotia and Stribling, Ontario lights. This range was a square, wooden tower with cedar shingles, painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the range line.

It was useful to the fishing fleet and Northumberland Ferries Limited after 1940.

This range light was moved about 1940 when construction of the ferry terminal at Wood Islands began.

This Front Range Light was decommissioned in 2007.

In 2013 this range light was moved to the lighthouse site.


Keepers:

James  Young   1902 - ?

 


Current Owners/ Operators:

Wood Islands Area Development Corporation


Special Events/Activities:

 

Last Updated: November 25, 2013