Former Northport Back Range Light


Status: Decomissioned
Date Built: 1897

Tower height: 6.7 meters   22" ft

Driving Directions:

No driving directions because this lighthouse is privately owned.


Description:

It has now been transformed into a private home. The lighthouse is the central part of a house over looking the Northport Harbour. The owners have retained the wooden lantern and lantern deck which is supported by metal brackets. They have maintained the shed dormers over the windows. The whole dwelling is covered with grey siding and white trim.


Historic Data:

When it was built in 1897, the Former Northport Back Range Light was a 22-foot open-framed wooden tower with a square wooden lantern. The side facing the channel was slatted to make it more conspicuous. It was painted white and displayed a fixed red light, visible three miles. In 1903, the tower was enclosed

In 1962, a new front range light was installed and the structure formerly used for the front light took the place of the back tower. The former back range was sold and moved a short distance.

This light has been incorporated into a private home in Alberton where it still overlooks the the beautiful waters of Cascumpec Bay.


Keepers:

John Mountain         1885 – 1897

William Champion   1897 – 1912

B. Mountain              1912 –1914

W. A. Smith               1914 – ?


Current Owners/ Operators:

Private owners.  

Last Updated: November 8, 2013