St. Peter's Island Light


Status: Active
GPS Coordinates: 46 07 01.1 N 63 10 49.5 W
LOL number: 1007
Date Built: 1990
.

Electrification and De-staffing Dates: The current lighthouse has always been automated.
Nominal Range: 10 nautical miles
Focal Height: 20.6 meters 67'5" ft
Light: Flashing white light. Operates at night only
Flash Pattern: Flash 1 seconds Eclipse 3 seconds
Tower height: 9.1 meters   29'8" ft

Driving Directions:

South Shore

Central Coastal Drive - PEI MAP - F - 10

It is on St. Peter's Island,a small Island in the Hillsborough Bay.

The St. Peters Island Lighthouse is best seen by boat or from the air. The Island may be accessible at low tide from Rice Point. Watch the tide cycle!


Description:

The St. Peter's Island Lighthouse is a square tapered tower clad in cedar shingles. The lantern has three windows. It is solar powered.  The lantern gallery is superimposed on the tower, surrounded by a metal railing and supported by metal brackets. The corner casings on the edge of the tower are painted white. It has classical pediments over the windows and door. The structure is set on blocks instead of a foundation. 

 


Historic Data:

The original square tapered lighthouse went into service in1881. It was 11.6m (38 feet) in height and 6.1m (20 feet) at the base and 1.6m (5 feet 3 inches) at the top with a galvanized iron lantern. There was no dwelling.

It was replaced in 1964 by a cylindrical metal tower bearing a strong resemblance to a highway culvert. This was replaced in the 1980’s by a tower similar to the original. Located in Hillsborough Bay, the St. Peter’s Island Lighthouse is not visible from land and must be viewed from the water.

Although there were people living on the Island, it has been unhabited for a long time.


Keepers:

 William Hewson               1881 – 1897

James W. Taylor               1897 – 1912   

James J. Taylor   June 15,1912 – 1947 , Died March 11.

William A. S. Taylor       April 2nd to October 3rd 1947 - ?

Two other keepers are:

James MacGrath       1913

William Geldert          1939

 

 


Current Owners/ Operators:

The lighthouse is owned by the Government of Canada. A community group has petitioned for ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.

Grounds open, tower closed.

Last Updated: September 28, 2013