Wright's Back Range Light


Status: Decomissioned
GPS Coordinates: 46 12 16 N 63 29 48.3 W
FHBRO Number: 90-119
LOL number: 1011
Date Built: 1894

Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Decommissioned in August 2011.
Focal Height: 13.9 meters 45'6" ft
Light: was red Iso
Flash Pattern: was flash 4second eclipse 4 second, visible on line of range
Tower height: 9.8 meters   32 ft

Driving Directions:

 

South Shore

 

Central Coastal Drive - PEI MAP - F - 8

From Highway 1, roughly 19 km (12 miles) east of Confederation Bridge, exit south towards Victoria, following Nelson Street. Before Victoria, turn right onto Victoria Road (Route 116), stay left onto Boulter Loop, and then turn left onto Beach Light Road. The Wrights Range Rear Lighthouse will be on your left as you approach the water.

 


Description:

The square tapered Wright's Back Range Light stands 9.8m (32 ft) in height from base to vane. It is a cedar shingled tower with a superimposed gallery supported by metal brackets. This type of tower has no separate lantern which made it relatively inexpensive to build. Instead, the light shines out of an upper window facing seaward. The windows are topped with shed dormers and there is a pediment over the door. The roof, railings, windows and door are trimmed red.



Historic Data:

The Wrights Back Range Light was constructed in 1894 and is located in Victoria, PEI.

The range light was originally an open frame tower which had white slats on the seaward sides. It was surmounted by a red lantern. The tower was later enclosed.  

There have been relatively few changes over the years, although major repairs were undertaken in 1957. A solar panel supplied electricity to the range light prior to it being decomissioned in August 2011.

It was located in a corner of an orchard on Charles L.Wright's property. He was paid $20 for the land. His salary was $100.per year.

The tower is located on private property close to Beach Light Road, overlooking Paul's Bluff and the Northumberland Strait just west of Victoria Harbour.

 


Keepers:

 Charles L. Wright    June 14, 1894 – 1935. He received an Imperial Long Service Medal for his many years of faithful lightkeeping. He was followed by his son.

 Charles Evan Wright             1935 – 1959. He retired when electricity was installed in the lights.


Current Owners/ Operators:

The Government of Canada owns the range light. The Victoria Seaport Museum Inc. has submitted a petition for ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.


Other:

 Grounds/tower closed.

Last Updated: November 22, 2013