Northport Back Range Light


Status: Active
GPS Coordinates: 46 47 42.2 N, 64 03 32.5 W 244degrees 54 277.3m from front
FHBRO Number: 90-133
LOL number: 1082
Date Built: 1885

Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Electrification - 1962 ?
Nominal Range: 15 nautical miles
Focal Height: 12.8 meters 41'9" ft
Light: Green, ISO Equal Interval Flash
Flash Pattern: Flash 4 seconds Eclipse 4 seconds
Tower height: 11.8 meters   38'7" ft

Driving Directions:

North Cape Coastal Drive  - PEI MAP - C - 3

From Route #12 (Church Street) in Alberton, turn South on Main Street and continue for 3km (2 miles) on highway 152 to Northport Harbour. It is adjacent to the Northport Community Centre.


Description:

The Northport Back Range Light is a square, wooden, tapered range light, 13.6 m (44.6 ') in height from base to vane and has a shingled exterior. It was originally an open frame tower which was enclosed in 1903. It was raised 3.3 m (11 ') in 1887 and another 1.8 m (6 ') in 1970.

The lantern gallery is superimposed on the tower. It is a combination of sloped base and straight top which gives the structure an unusual look. The range light is very simple with no decorative details. The wooden lantern deck is surrounded by a metal railing and supported by metal brackets. It is painted white with red trim and a vertical red daymark extends downward from the gallery. The door is topped with a shed dormer. All accents on this lighthouse are painted red.

It overlooks the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Cascumpec Bay on the northwest shore of Prince Edward Island.

 


Historic Data:

In 1885, James Keefe built the ranges under contract for $1,900. The back range was a square open framed tower, painted white, standing 40 ft in height.

It was modified in 1903. This Northport Back Range Light was originally a front range light until 1962 when a new front range was constructed. It has been moved a number of times to align with the channel.

For a more detailed history of the various ranges lights leading into the Northport Harbour, we suggest going to this website:

www.lighthousefriends.com 

On this site search for Prince Edward Island.


Keepers:

Partial list of Keepers: 

John Mountain          1885 - 1897 

William Champion     1897 -1912

B.Mountain                 1912- 1914

W.A.Smith                   1914 - ?


Current Owners/ Operators:

Government of Canada. The Northport Community Council has submitted a petition for ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.


Other:

Note: Notmar lists the height as 11.8 meters. Other research lists it at 13.6 m  44.6 feet.

Last Updated: November 8, 2013