Malpeque Harbour Approach Light


Status: Decomissioned
GPS Coordinates: 46 58 48.3 N 63 72 98W
LOL number: 1067
Date Built: 1961

Electrification and De-staffing Dates: solar powered . Decommissioned 2011.
Nominal Range: 10 nautical miles
Focal Height: 16.8 meters 55'1" ft
Light: White ISO Equal Interval Flash
Flash Pattern: Flash 2 seconds Eclipse 2 seconds
Tower height: 15.2 meters   49'8" ft

Driving Directions:

North Cape Coastal Drive - PEI MAP - D - 5

This light is not accessable by road. It is located on Fish Island in Malpeque Bay. 

* This light can be viewed from the northwest side of the campsite at Cabot Park. Driving directions as follows;

Central Coastal Drive - PEI Map - D - 6


Description:

This range light was built in 1961 to replace an earlier range light. It is a metal skeleton tower with an enclosed upper portion. The square tower is shingled and painted white. The lantern is superimposed on the tower and is surrounded by a narrow deck which has a metal railing.

Windows on all sides of the lantern provide visibility from all directions. The red roof and railing enhance the appearance of this unique range light which is the only one of this style on Prince Edward Island.

It stands 15.2m (50 feet) tall and serves as the Rear Range light for the Malpeque Harbour Approach Range Lights.

* It is one of two Island lighthouses that has not been listed for divestiture under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.


Historic Data:

Following the 1851Yankee Gale, which claimed over 80 ships and 160 men, American ships were required to pay an anchorage fee to support lighthouses, particularly along the North Shore.

The first of these lighthouses was built on Fish (Bill Hook) Island in 1853 and the second lighthouse replacement was in 1857.

The third lighthouse was built by Thomas Fahey of Alberton in 1876 for the sum of $1,987. It commenced operation in 1877. At this time we do not know when this particular lighthouse ceased operation.

A  pole topped by a lantern served as a back range light in 1912. It was replaced by a skeleton tower in 1913 which we believe was enclosed as the fourth tower, currently on display in Cabot Park.


Keepers:

This was never a staffed lighthouse.


Current Owners/ Operators:

Government of Canada. It is not listed in the divestiture program. 

Last Updated: November 8, 2013