Malpeque Outer Front Range Light


Status: Active
GPS Coordinates: 46 33 50.5 N 63 39 05.1 W
FHBRO Number: 90-134
LOL number: 1062
Date Built: 1897

Nominal Range: 16 nautical miles
Focal Height: 12.6 meters 41'3" ft
Light: Fixed red light.
Tower height: 7.8 meters   25'5" ft

Driving Directions:

Although this light is on private property, it can be viewed from a public road. 

North Shore

Central Coastal Drive - PEI Map - D - 6 

From Kensington, take Route 20 north for 15.5 km (9.7 miles) then turn left onto Lower Darnley Road. After 2.7 km (1.7 miles), turn right onto Lighthouse Road and you will find the Malpeque Outer Front Range Light at the end of the road. 

**Grounds / Tower are closed.


Description:

This range light was an open frame tower, 7.6 m - 25 ' high, that was later enclosed and shingled. Its utilitarian design was typical of the era.

The Front Range is similar to the Back Range. The Malpeque Front Range Light is a small tapered wooden tower with lantern deck surmounted on the tower. The wooden lantern deck is surrounded by a metal railing and supported by wooden brackets. Unlike the back range it has corner casings. The lantern has one window facing seaward, and a red day mark extending downward from it. This tower is painted white with red trim.


Historic Data:

The first light here in 1889 was a lantern hoisted on a 9.1m (30 foot) mast with a shed at its base.

Though the current tower was built in 1897, this range was moved 12 times between 1889 and 1938 to line up with the shifting channel.

In 1874, nine gentlemen interested in improvements to navigational aids for Malpeque Harbour, "the only accessible place of refuge on the north side," petitioned the Minister of Marine and Fisheries for a second light on Fish Island and "two lights on Darnley Point, so arranged as to be a guide or mark entering the harbour over the bar."

In 1892, diamond-shaped slat-work formerly used on the masts at Brighton Beach were bolted to the masts at Darnley Range and stayed with steel wire rope “to make the masts more conspicuous in daylight.” Due to the unsteadiness of the mast arrangement, open-frame towers topped by enclosed lanterns were erected in 1897 under the supervision of Milton Walsh, foreman of works for the Prince Edward Island Division of the Department of Marine and Fisheries. The two towers were 7.6 metres (25 feet) tall and cost a total of $170.0 for material and labour.

* Direct quotes from Kraig Anderson's site- www.lighthousefriends.com


Keepers:

John D. Morrison         1889 – 1890

Cornelius Morrison      1890 – 1896

G. W. J. Wiggins           1896 – 1913

C. Morrison                   1913 – ?


Current Owners/ Operators:

Government of Canada. A group has put in a petition of ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.


Special Events/Activities:

Malpeque Front Range Light was registered by the Prince Edward Island Historic Places Protection Act on July 12, 2012.

Last Updated: November 10, 2013