Former Cape Tryon


Status: Decomissioned
GPS Coordinates: 46 53 95.6N 63 55 59.3W
Date Built: 1905

Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Decommissioned in 1965
Tower height: 11.3 meters   37 ft

Driving Directions:

No driving directions because this lighthouse is privately owned.


Description:

The rectangular two storey wooden dwelling has an octagonal red iron lantern and gallery mounted at one end of the gambrel roof. The gallery is surrounded by a metal railing. It is shingled and painted white with red trim in the traditional Coast Guard style. It has a veranda and a large deck. The interior is a blend of old and new. 


When the lighthouse was moved from its original location, it was placed near a small seaside pond on the Park Corner area (1980's picture). It was again moved east of that location and is now a well-restored structure used as a private residence. A small outbuilding has been constructed in a similar style.


Historic Data:

Built in 1905, the Former Cape Tryon Lighthouse was operated until 1965.

Its first beacon was a temporary seventh-order white light, visible for sixteen miles from all points of approach.

When the new Cape Tryon Lighthouse was built, the old lantern was left on the original lighthouse. The fourth order Fresnel drum lens manufactured in Paris, France by Barbier, Bernard & Turenne, was removed.


Keepers:

William Bell       Mar. 17, 1905 – until his death in 1915

James. Adams                1915 – 1927  temporary

Frank Pidgeon                1927 temporary.  

Then he was permanent   1928–retired July 13,1936

James Garnet Graham    1936 temporary July 14th - Feb. 28,1937  

William Brander               1937 temporary March1-Nov1

James Garnet Graham    1937 permanent November -September

                                           1942 On leave to join the Armed Forces.  

Robert Elmer Parsons     1942 September - October 7-temporary

Arthur Lea PidgeonOct.8,1942 – resigned Oct.17th1945 ill health.

Guy T.Arthur         Oct.18, 1945- 1946. Guy was temporary until Pidgeon was able to return.

John L. Graham              1946 – 1948

James Garnet Graham  1948 - returned from World War II

                                         1952.resigned due to poor health.

Guy T. Arthur                  1952. returned as temporary keeper-

Arthur Elwood Paynter  April 1st 1953 - February 15th 1962 when the light became automated.

 

 

 

 


Current Owners/ Operators:

Alberta and Ron Somers

Former Cape Tryon Lighthouse is privately owned by the great grandaughter of the first lightkeeper, William Bell. Her husband is a grand- nephew of James Graham who was the longest serving keeper of this light.

Last Updated: November 10, 2013