Private Lighthouses

There are 18 lighthouses and range lights that have been purchased by private individuals or community groups.  They are often located on private land and not accessible to the public.  Several of these Private Lighthouses have been converted to other functions, summer cottages, guest houses or small shops.  These are generally small range lights.

Haszard Point Back Range


The Haszard Point Back Range was built in 1889. This Lighthouse was not extended in height like the front range was.

This 13m (45.9 ft) shingled tower has a broad base which tapers to a narrow square lantern. The navigation light shines through the window on the seaward side. The narrow plank lantern deck is supported by metal brackets and is surrounded by a metal railing.

Both Haszard Ranges have a unique paint scheme which allows them to contrast with the surrounding buildings. Three sides are painted the typical white, while the seaward side is painted red with a wide black vertical daymark extending from the ground to the lantern deck. Two windows and the door are within the black daymark.They are topped by shed dormers.

Driving Directions:

The range light can be seen from the road. Grounds/tower closed.

From Highway 1 in Stratford, just east of Charlottetown, turn south on Highway 1A (Georgetown Road). After 2.6 km (1.6 miles) turn right onto Keppoch Road and you will see the Haszard Point Range Rear Lighthouse to your right. The road that leads towards the lighthouse at this point (Spindrift Lane) is private.

GPS Coordinates: 019 degrees 19' 650.1 m from front range

Technical Data
  • Status: Active
  • FHBRO Number: 90-116
  • LOL number: 992
  • Date Built: 1889
  • Electrification and De-staffing Dates: 1961
  • Nominal Range: 13 NAUTICAL MILES
  • Focal Height: 46.3m, 151'9"
  • Light: Fixed Yellow
  • Tower height: 14.0m, 45'9"
Historic Data

Two pairs of range lights were established in 1889 to guide vessels into Charlottetown Harbour along a channel clear of all obstructions. The outer set of range lights, known as the Haszard Range Lights, was established southeast of the entrance to the harbour on a farm owned by the Honorable Francis L. Haszard (1849-1938), who served as Premier of Prince Edward Island from 1908 to 1911 and Judge of the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island from 1911 to 1930. The inner set of range lights was placed in the harbour at Brighton Beach.

The range lights originally displayed fixed red lights until 1902, when they were changed to fixed white lights. The Haszard Point Range Lights currently show a fixed yellow light.

HaszardPointFront Vintage1


Lighthouse Keepers

1890-1902 - Alexander Kennedy

1902-1910 - Angus Beaton

1910-1961 - Edwin Stewart

Current Owners/ Operators:

Government of Canada. The Town of Stratford is petitioning for ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.