Northport Back Range
The Northport Back Range Light is a square, wooden, tapered range light, 13.6 m (44.6 ') in height from base to vane and has a shingled exterior. It was originally an open frame tower which was enclosed in 1903. It was raised 3.3 m (11 ') in 1887 and another 1.8 m (6 ') in 1970.
The lantern gallery is superimposed on the tower. It is a combination of sloped base and straight top which gives the structure an unusual look. The range light is very simple with no decorative details. The wooden lantern deck is surrounded by a metal railing and supported by metal brackets. It is painted white with red trim and a vertical red daymark extends downward from the gallery. The door is topped with a shed dormer. All accents on this lighthouse are painted red.
It overlooks the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Cascumpec Bay on the northwest shore of Prince Edward Island.
North Cape Coastal Drive - From Route #12 (Church Street) in Alberton, turn South on Main Street and continue for 3km (2 miles) on highway 152 to Northport Harbour. It is adjacent to the Northport Community Centre.
GPS Coordinates: 46 47 42.2 N, 64 03 32.5 W 244º 54 277.3m from front
- Status: Active
- FHBRO Number: 90-133
- LOL number: 1082
- Date Built: 1885
- Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Electrification - 1962 ?
- Nominal Range: 15 NAUTICAL MILES
- Focal Height: 12.8m, 41'9"
- Light: Green, ISO Equal Interval Flash
- Flash Pattern: Flash 4 seconds Eclipse 4 seconds
- Tower height: 11.8m, 38'7"
In 1885, James Keefe built the ranges under contract for $1,900. The back range was a square open framed tower, painted white, standing 40 ft in height.
It was modified in 1903. This Northport Back Range Light was originally a front range light until 1962 when a new front range was constructed. It has been moved a number of times to align with the channel.
1885-1897 - John Mountain
1897-1912 - William Champion
1912-1914 - B.Mountain
1914-19?? - W.A.Smith
Current Owners/ Operators:
Government of Canada. The Northport Community Council has submitted a petition for ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.
Note: Notmar lists the height as 11.8 meters. Other research lists it at 13.6 m 44.6 feet.