Range Lights

There are 40 (20 pairs) of range lights in the PEI lighthouse family.  Each pair of range lights includes a front range and a rear range and mark the entrance to a harbour.  Range lights were used by boat captains to pilot their craft safely into harbour by visually lining up the front and rear range lights to get their heading.  For this reason, the front range is typically shorter and the rear range is taller. Range lights often have a vertical red stripe on them as day marks to help the pilot visually line up the pair of lights to find their heading.

One range light – Leard’s Front Range in Victoria-by-the-Sea has been converted to the Victoria Seaport Museum.

Wood Islands Back Range


The Wood Islands Back Range Light has a square tapered wooden tower, 9.7m (32ft) from base to vane. It has a square lantern with a large window facing seaward and a smaller window on the east side. A narrow wooden deck is surmounted on the tower and is surrounded by a cross-braced railing supported by simple wooden brackets. The red striped vertical day mark on its seaward side was removed when this range light was decommissioned in 2007.

Driving Directions:

north cape coastal drive logo 100x100

Points East Coastal Drive - Take the ferry from Caribou, Nova Scotia or Highway 1 from Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island to reach Wood Islands. Near the ferry landing, take Lighthouse Road east to Wood Islands Lighthouse site.

GPS Coordinates: 45 56 59.5 N 62 44 46.1 W

Technical Data
  • Status: Decommissioned
  • FHBRO Number: 90-115
  • LOL number: 974
  • Date Built: 1902
  • Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Decommissioned in 2007.
  • Nominal Range: 6 NAUTICAL MILES
  • Focal Height: was 11.4m, 37'4 "
  • Light: was fixed yellow light
  • Tower height: 9.7m, 32'
Historic Data

In 1902, the Wood Islands Back Range Light was constructed overlooking the Northumberland Strait that leads into Wood Islands Harbour. It was useful to the fishing fleet and Northumberland Ferries Limited after 1940.

It is believed that the range light was moved about 1940 when construction of the ferry terminal at Wood Islands began.

This Back Range Light was decommissioned in 2007.

In 2013 this range light was moved to the lighthouse site.


Lighthouse Keepers

1902-19?? - James Young - This is the only name available.

Current Owners/ Operators:

Wood Islands and Area Development Corporation.