Range Lights

There are 40 (20 pairs) of range lights in the PEI lighthouse family.  Each pair of range lights includes a front range and a rear range and mark the entrance to a harbour.  Range lights were used by boat captains to pilot their craft safely into harbour by visually lining up the front and rear range lights to get their heading.  For this reason, the front range is typically shorter and the rear range is taller. Range lights often have a vertical red stripe on them as day marks to help the pilot visually line up the pair of lights to find their heading.

One range light – Leard’s Front Range in Victoria-by-the-Sea has been converted to the Victoria Seaport Museum.

Warren Cove Front Range


The appearance of the Warren Cove Front Range Light has changed noticeably since a refurbishment in 2008.

This square wooden tapered range light is 11.2m (37feet) from base to vane. It still retains its classical appearance with a steep pediment over the door and a shed dormer over the second story window. The cornice is now angled rather than curved. It has a wooden cross braced railing on the lantern deck. The roof of the lantern and pediments are painted red. It has a wooden lantern with only one window facing seaward.

Driving Directions:

red sands shore logo 100x100

Red Sands Shore Drive - From Charlottetown, travel southwest on Highway 1, then take Highway 19 south passing through Meadowbank. Shortly after the bridge, follow Highway 19 east to Fort Amherst/Port La Joye National Historic Site. When you near the southeast tip of the peninsula, go east on Blockhouse Road from Highway 19, then make your first left onto Hache Gallant Drive.

Park at the National Historic Site Interpretive Centre, and take the walking tour past the fort to the edge of the bluff, where you will find the lighthouse.

GPS Coordinates: 46 11 56.7N 63 08 17.7W

Technical Data
  • Status: Active
  • FHBRO Number: 90-117
  • LOL number: 996
  • Date Built: 1907
  • Nominal Range: 12 NAUTICAL MILES
  • Focal Height: 17.3m, 56'7"
  • Light: Fixed Yellow Light
  • Tower height: 11.2m, 36'7"
Historic Data

The Warren Cove Front Range Light was built in 1907 by M. Walsh using Department of Marine and Fisheries design. The Range Light was framed at the Government Wharf Warehouse in Charlottetown. The cost of both range lights was $1495. 39. The front and back range lights were established on the Warren Farm and had an indirect influence on the development of the Charlottetown Harbour.

In the early 1960's the name of the lights was changed from Warren Farm to Warren Cove range Lights.

A building investigation in 2008 revealed that the shingles and the wooden walls were severely damaged by rot. It was deemed more cost effective to cover the framework with plywood which was then covered with Nailite siding which is guaranteed for 25 years. The flared cornice was changed into an angled cornice. This range light has been moved several times.

WarrenCoveBack Vintage1WarrenCoveFront Vintag2


Lighthouse Keepers

1907-1912 - Alexander S. McNeil

1912-1921 - C. E. H. Newson

1921-19?? - J. L. Doiron

Current Owners/ Operators:

The lighthouse is owned by the Government of Canada. A group has formed to obtain ownership through the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.