Range Lights

There are 40 (20 pairs) of range lights in the PEI lighthouse family.  Each pair of range lights includes a front range and a rear range and mark the entrance to a harbour.  Range lights were used by boat captains to pilot their craft safely into harbour by visually lining up the front and rear range lights to get their heading.  For this reason, the front range is typically shorter and the rear range is taller. Range lights often have a vertical red stripe on them as day marks to help the pilot visually line up the pair of lights to find their heading.

One range light – Leard’s Front Range in Victoria-by-the-Sea has been converted to the Victoria Seaport Museum.

Wright's Back Range Light


The square tapered Wright's Back Range Light stands 9.8m (32 ft) in height from base to vane. It is a cedar shingled tower with a superimposed gallery supported by metal brackets. This type of tower has no separate lantern which made it relatively inexpensive to build. Instead, the light shines out of an upper window facing seaward. The windows are topped with shed dormers and there is a pediment over the door. The roof, railings, windows and door are trimmed red.

Driving Directions:

north cape coastal drive logo 100x100

Red Sands Shore Drive - From Highway 1, roughly 19 km (12 miles) east of Confederation Bridge, exit south towards Victoria, following Nelson Street. Before Victoria, turn right onto Victoria Road (Route 116), stay left onto Boulter Loop, and then turn left onto Beach Light Road. The Wrights Range Rear Lighthouse will be on your left as you approach the water.

GPS Coordinates: 46 12 16 N 63 29 48.3 W

Technical Data
  • Status: Decommissioned
  • FHBRO Number: 90-119
  • LOL number: 1011
  • Date Built: 1894
  • Electrification and De-staffing Dates: Decommissioned in August 2011.
  • Focal Height: 13.9 METERS 45'6" FT
  • Light: was red Iso
  • Flash Pattern: was flash 4 second eclipse 4 second, visible on line of range
  • Tower height: 9.8m, 32'
Historic Data

The Wrights Back Range Light was constructed in 1894 and is located in Victoria, PEI.

The range light was originally an open frame tower which had white slats on the seaward sides. It was surmounted by a red lantern. The tower was later enclosed.

There have been relatively few changes over the years, although major repairs were undertaken in 1957. A solar panel supplied electricity to the range light prior to it being decommissioned in August 2011.

It was located in a corner of an orchard on Charles L.Wright's property. He was paid $20 for the land. His salary was $100.per year.

The tower is located on private property close to Beach Light Road, overlooking Paul's Bluff and the Northumberland Strait just west of Victoria Harbour.

WrightsBackRange Vintage1


Lighthouse Keepers

1894-1935 - Charles L. Wright - He received an Imperial Long Service Medal for his many years of faithful lightkeeping. He was followed by his son.

1935-1959 - Charles Evan Wright - He retired when electricity was installed in the lights.

Keeper WrightsBackRange EvanWright

Current Owners/ Operators:

The Government of Canada owns the range light. The Victoria Seaport Museum Inc. has submitted a petition for ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.